This week we bring you Big Screen Berkeley with a difference — a chance to test your knowledge of movies, movie stars and movie locations with a Berkeley connection. Berkeleyside film writer John Seal has crafted a list of 20 tricky questions for all film or quiz buffs out there. The person with the most correct answers — emailed to Berkeleyside by Sunday, October 3, 5 p.m. — will receive a $25 gift certificate to Summer Kitchen Bake Shop, good for lunch, dinner, pizza or baked goods. Answers next week. Good luck!
- Which Berkeley resident has worked extensively with German director Werner Herzog?
- In which classic silent comedy does
HearstMemorial Stadium (below) feature prominently ?
- Which Berkeley-born thespian has been nominated for three Golden Raspberry (“Razzie”) Awards for Worst Actor?
- Name the film starring a San Francisco comedian shot outside UC Berkeley’s Le Conte Hall in the spring of 1998.
- Which Berkeley-born special effects expert has a species of dinosaur named after him?
- Name the San Francisco-born star of 1972’s Blacula (below) who passed away in Berkeley earlier this year.
- Name the cinema that operated on Gilman Street from 1972 through 1989.
- Which 2005 drama was partly filmed at Malcolm X School?
- Name the UC Berkeley professor and expert in Scandinavian history who also wrote a book about slasher films.
- Name the Berkeley-born pornographic film star, socialist, and feminist whose maternal grandfather defended The Scottsboro Boys in 1931.
- Cal’s freshman rowing team is the subject of which 1935 short subject?
- Which Berkeley-born actress turned down the role that went to Brooke Shield’s in 1980’s The Blue Lagoon (above)?
- Which Karel Reisz-directed drama features scenes shot in the original Cody’s Books?
- Lawrence Hall of Science provided exterior location footage for which science fiction film?
- To which abandoned university building will Pacific Film Archive eventually relocate?
- Which famous comedy, supposedly set at UC Berkeley, was actually partly filmed at USC?
- Which film producer of award-winning frock flicks was born in Berkeley in 1928?
- Which film actor, born in Southern California, briefly attended Berkeley High School (above), where he made his stage debut?
- The Dream Theater briefly operated in downtown Berkeley during the first decade of the 20th century. Name the current occupant of the same address (note: the original building has long since been demolished).
- Which Berkeley-set drama featured Ray Milland as an alcoholic professor?
Berkeleyside’s film writer John Seal writes a weekly movie recommendation column at Box Office Prophets, as well as a column in The Phantom of the Movies’ Videoscope, an old-fashioned paper magazine, published quarterly.