- 12/04/2014 - Half the Sky's NICHOLAS KRISTOF / A Path Appears
- 11/25/2014 - 'Read and Share' Book Club
- 11/18/2014 - UC Berkeley Department of Theater, Dance and Performance Studies presents REGENTS' LECTURE: LUIS VALDEZ
- 11/13/2014 - Presidential Inaugural Poet RICHARD BLANCO / The Prince of Los Cocuyos
- 11/10/2014 - London's School of Life's ROMAN KRZNARIC / Empathy
Daily Archives: March 18, 2012
The body of a man that washed up on the Berkeley Marina Saturday morning was identified Sunday as 31-year-old Douglas Jones from Oakland, according to a Bay Area News Group report.
Investigators are still working to determine how he died, according to the Alameda County Coroner’s Bureau. Preliminary indications suggest the death is not suspicious, according to the Chronicle.
The police reported that a server at Hs Lordships restaurant on Seawall Drive spotted Jones around 7:45 a.m. on Saturday. The body was fully clothed, appeared to have been in the water a relatively short period of time, and had come to rest against some rocks.
Hs Lordships staff had gathered at the restaurant for a meeting, according to its general manager Kelli Praught, speaking to the Chronicle. … Continue reading »
The Berkeley Public Central Library is closed today, Sunday, after a small fire in a restroom on Saturday caused sprinklers to flood a public area of the building.
The book returns are open, however, and Donna Corbeil, Director of Library Services, says the library plans to reopen at its regular time on Monday.
Today crews are cleaning up the water damage which was prompted by a fire alarm setting off automatic sprinklers.
The fire ignited in a public restroom on the second floor. It is not known how it got started. Nobody was injured and the public and staff were evacuated. … Continue reading »