The holiday season is, unfortunately, when many communities experience an increase in crime. The Berkeley Police Department is offering a few holiday safety tips to ensure everyone has a safe and happy holiday.
- Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
- Do not leave packages or valuables on the seat of your car.
- Do not approach your car alone if there are suspicious people in the area.
- Be sure to locate your keys prior to going to your car.
- Park as close as you can to your destination.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Try to shop during daylight hours when possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Stay alert to your surroundings.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages.
- Walk with a sense of purpose – show you are calm, confident and know where you are going.
- Don’t store packages in your vehicle while you continue to shop, thieves watch for this kind of activity.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave, even if it is just for a few minutes.
- Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows/doors of your home.
- If you leave for an extended period of time, have a friend or family member watch your house and pick up newspaper and mail.
- Consider having packages delivered to a trusted neighbor if you are not home to receive them. Packages left on door steps can be easily stolen.
- Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.