Thousands of Berkeley stories
We need your help to bring you more…
A school superintendent fiasco, iPhone-gate, election shenanigans, earthquakes and mountain lions. This year, Berkeleyside brought you thousands of stories that happened in this amazing city we all call home.
We did it with your help — you sent us tips and insights, left comments, provoked discussion, and contributed writing and photography.
As the year draws to an end, we are asking you to help once again. Please keep local, independent journalism strong by becoming a Berkeleyside Member for as little as $5 a month. Enjoy special member benefits and parties and exclusive insights into the stories that make the news.
Some news highlights of 2012
Elections, murders, police scandal, a wealth of cultural events, both high- and low-brow, and always those darn wild turkeys.
- The aborted recruitment of a new Berkeley Unified school superintendent
- Berkeley Police Chief Michael Meehan’s decision to send an officer to the home of a reporter in the middle of the night to complain about a story
- The most comprehensive coverage of the mayoral, City Council and local measures in the 2012 election
- Four brutal murders: Peter Cukor outside his Berkeley hills home; Kenneth Warren near his workplace off Shattuck Avenue; Devin Lee Whitmire on Sacramento Street; and Pam Mullins on her bike, also on Sacramento Street
- The changing landscape for the city’s medical cannabis collectives
- Wildlife in abundance: cougars, wild turkeys, newts crossing the road, and a brave Chinook salmon
Become a Berkeleyside Member: Here’s why
Benefits Berkeleyside Members enjoyed in 2012:
- Invitation to exclusive annual Members’ Rooftop Drinks Party
- First dibs on tickets to the sell-out “The Three Michaels: A Berkeley Conversation” with Michael Pollan, Michael Chabon, and Michael Lewis (pictured left)
- Discounts on tickets to “Berkeleyside Business Forum: Startup Berkeley”
- Regular Berkeleyside Members e-Newsletter
In 2013 we will offer all this and more, including invitations to Members-only food soirees and wine tastings.
Berkeleyside this year
We published more than 5,000 stories about Berkeley. More than 1 million people visited Berkeleyside.
- We expanded our staff, hiring Emilie Raguso as a senior reporter, which allows us to cover more stories and go into more depth.
- We launched an exciting new food section called NOSH.
- We created and hosted “The Three Michaels: A Berkeley Conversation,” a hugely entertaining fundraiser at the Berkeley Rep with Michael Chabon, Michael Lewis and Michael Pollan.
- We hosted our second annual Business Forum: Startup Berkeley.
- More readers used our Opinionator section to express their views, and our Events Calendar to alert the community of local happenings.
- Sponsorships: We supported the following community events this year: Solano Stroll, Juneteenth, Rose Garden Anniversary, Caltopia, Swim Across America, LitQuake.
We plan to do even more in 2013 to cover Berkeley. You can help support us now by becoming a Berkeleyside Member.
We hope you have a very happy and peaceful holiday season!
Frances Dinkelspiel, Lance Knobel, Tracey Taylor, Wendy Cohen, and Emilie Raguso.