House fire displaces family in North Berkeley

Fire on Stannage. Photo: Roger Taranto

Update: 9:30 a.m. A smoldering cigarette that had fallen into the cracks of a deck appears to be the cause of the fire that heavily damaged a home in the 1400 block of Stannage Avenue on Thursday night, according to Assistant Berkeley Fire Chief Keith May.

The Berkeley Fire Department received the call about the fire around 10:40 p.m. and got there within a few minutes, said May. By that time the flames had leaped from the porch into the walls and attic, he said. The fire was under control within 20 minutes. It caused an estimated $70,000 to $80,000 in damage, he said.

The three occupants of the home were able to get out safely, said May. They were displaced from the home, however, and are staying with relatives in the area.

Original story: Berkeley firefighters responded late Thursday to the 1400 block of Stannage Avenue for a house fire.


Berkeleyside has asked the Berkeley Fire Department for details. Neighbors report that the fire seemed to be “mostly out” as of about 11:25 p.m. “Firefighters tearing apart roof looking for hot spots,” said local resident Roger Taranto. David Rosenthal alerted Berkeleyside to “5-6 distinct sirens, including two vehicles that flew past our house,” shortly before 10:50 p.m.

Ames Martin chimed in on Twitter that Stannage was closed between Camelia and Hopkins streets for the fire. Martin said, as of nearly 11:30 p.m., the house was “smoldering as firefighters cut through roof. By all appearances everyone out ok. 2+ fire trucks inc. Albany Fire, street still closed.”

According to unconfirmed scanner traffic, firefighters were dispatched at about 10:40 p.m. to a single-story home on fire. They found heavy smoke when they arrived on the block, and later reported that everyone was out of the house. Berkeleyside will update this post as additional information becomes available.

Fire on Stannage. Photo: Ames Martin

Editor Frances Dinkelspiel contributed to this story.