- 10/21/2014 - The Nation's KATHA POLLITT / Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights
- 10/21/2014 - Brower Youth Awards 15th Anniversary
- 10/17/2014 - Berkeley City College's 40th Anniversary
- 10/10/2014 - Free Outdoor Screening! - This is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner; US, 1984)
- 10/09/2014 - Vikram Chandra / Geek Sublime: The Beauty of Code, the Code of Beauty
Author Archives: Virginia Miller
Since her days at Oakland’s Hibiscus, and even further back at Front Porch in San Francisco, chef Sarah Kirnon has infused the Caribbean flavors of her youth into creative dishes exhibiting the heart of soul food with a modern vision. Kirnon’s fried chicken, a recipe she learned from her grandmother while growing up in Barbados, is a bit of a cult classic that follows her around from restaurant to restaurant.
Once Kirnon left Hibiscus, she put her efforts into opening Miss Ollie’s, which made its debut on Dec. 4. Named after, and in tribute to, her grandmother the restaurant occupies a roomy, corner location of Swan’s Market in Old Oakland. There a friendly crew serves lunch only, Tuesdays-Fridays, 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. … Continue reading »