- 12/04/2014 - Half the Sky's NICHOLAS KRISTOF / A Path Appears
- 11/25/2014 - 'Read and Share' Book Club
- 11/18/2014 - UC Berkeley Department of Theater, Dance and Performance Studies presents REGENTS' LECTURE: LUIS VALDEZ
- 11/13/2014 - Presidential Inaugural Poet RICHARD BLANCO / The Prince of Los Cocuyos
- 11/10/2014 - London's School of Life's ROMAN KRZNARIC / Empathy
Author Archives: Virginia Miller
Since her days at Oakland’s Hibiscus, and even further back at Front Porch in San Francisco, chef Sarah Kirnon has infused the Caribbean flavors of her youth into creative dishes exhibiting the heart of soul food with a modern vision. Kirnon’s fried chicken, a recipe she learned from her grandmother while growing up in Barbados, is a bit of a cult classic that follows her around from restaurant to restaurant.
Once Kirnon left Hibiscus, she put her efforts into opening Miss Ollie’s, which made its debut on Dec. 4. Named after, and in tribute to, her grandmother the restaurant occupies a roomy, corner location of Swan’s Market in Old Oakland. There a friendly crew serves lunch only, Tuesdays-Fridays, 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. … Continue reading »