- 11/25/2014 - 'Read and Share' Book Club
- 11/18/2014 - UC Berkeley Department of Theater, Dance and Performance Studies presents REGENTS' LECTURE: LUIS VALDEZ
- 11/13/2014 - Presidential Inaugural Poet RICHARD BLANCO / The Prince of Los Cocuyos
- 11/10/2014 - London's School of Life's ROMAN KRZNARIC / Empathy
- 10/28/2014 - 'Read and Share' Book Club
Tag Archives: A Down Home Christmas with Nell and Jim
One of the pleasures of old-time music is that it acts as a force-field repelling shallow notions of hipness and callow ironic stances. In the hands of a generous artist like Nell Robinson, the specter of kitsch is banished by an abundance of soul.
Next week Robinson, a tremendously gifted singer in the throes of a late-blooming career, joins with her musical partner, guitarist Jim Nunally, to inaugurate Aurora Theatre’s new cabaret space, Harry’s UpStage, with “A Down Home Christmas with Nell and Jim,” which runs Dec. 13-21. Featuring original material, seasonal standards, and sundry songs that seem appropriate, the show is new, but the concept is old indeed.
“We’ve done a lot of singing at the holidays with family and friends,” says Robinson, aka long-time Berkeley resident Hilary Perkins. “We’re taking the music that we love to sing in our living rooms and bringing it into the new Aurora performance space, hoping to make it feel like a living room, singing music people will know, and some new stuff we’ve written.” … Continue reading »