Berkeleyside iPhone app
- 06/02/2015 - Albany Library: The Writing Spot
- 05/30/2015 - Annual Family Fun Festival
- 05/19/2015 - New Mom's Support Group - Bring Baby!
- 05/18/2015 - WIA Orientation Workshop - Career Center
- 05/17/2015 - 20th Annual Jazz On Fourth Street Festival
- 05/12/2015 - Inaugural Poet ELIZABETH ALEXANDER | The Light of the World | In Conversation with FAITH ADIELE
- 05/12/2015 - New Mom's Support Group - Bring Baby!
Tag Archives: Al Bahn
June 27, 2011 11:00 am by Frances Dinkelspiel
Some significant voices are missing in the 11-page report the Ad Hoc Safety Committee prepared on how to reduce guns in Berkeley high schools: that of the students.
While two Berkeley High students sat on the committee — at least until the end of the academic year — efforts to find out and understand why students brought guns into school did not go far.
Susan Craig, the director of student services for the Berkeley Unified School District, interviewed almost all of the six Berkeley students who were caught with guns and asked them why they brought weapons on campus. None of them were particularly forthcoming about their reasons, she told the safety committee.
The district also enlisted the aid of Pastor Michael McBride of BOCA, a faith-based action committee, to hold focus groups with students to discuss guns on campus. While those conversations happened, McBride did not provide a summary of those discussions to the committee, despite repeated phone calls asking for the information by Craig and Superintendent Bill Huyett.
McBride was not paid for his efforts, but in late May the school district approved a $15,0000 contract with Lifelines to Healing, an anti-violence mentoring program promoted by BOCA. (Note 7/1/11: McBride said BOCA will not benefit financially from this contract and is in fact, donating $10,000 to the overall project.)
A survey conducted by the safety consultant Al Bahn of Edu-Safe Associates only garnered one student response. … Continue reading »