Berkeleyside iPhone app
- curiousjorge on Kenny Zamora Damacion: Cherished friend, mentor, father
- Guest on New 120-foot building proposed for downtown Berkeley
- curiousjorge on New 120-foot building proposed for downtown Berkeley
- Ummm... on New 120-foot building proposed for downtown Berkeley
- A reader on The Berkeley Wire: 12.09.13
Tag Archives: Birdland
The story of a controversial community artist and jazz event organizer will come to an end later this month, at least locally, with the relocation of Birdman Mike from Berkeley to Manila, the capital city of the Philippines.
Or you may have heard about his efforts organizing Birdland Jazz, aka the Birdland Jazzista Social Club, which Berkeleyside has been covering over the past two years. The jazz and barbecue event, which Parayno says drew world-class performers the likes of which also perform at venues such as Yoshi’s, started in Parayno’s garage before moving to Café Yesterday in 2011.
Both efforts have fierce devotees as well as passionate detractors. Critics have pointed out Parayno’s lack of concern for municipal codes, while supporters argue for his unique contributions to community life. … Continue reading »