- 12/04/2014 - Half the Sky's NICHOLAS KRISTOF / A Path Appears
- 11/25/2014 - 'Read and Share' Book Club
- 11/18/2014 - UC Berkeley Department of Theater, Dance and Performance Studies presents REGENTS' LECTURE: LUIS VALDEZ
- 11/13/2014 - Presidential Inaugural Poet RICHARD BLANCO / The Prince of Los Cocuyos
- 11/10/2014 - London's School of Life's ROMAN KRZNARIC / Empathy
Tag Archives: Claremont Avenue
In July, the Berkeley City Council took up the EIR agreement for the proposed Safeway store on College Avenue in Oakland’s Rockridge district right on the Berkeley border. Buoyed by the protests of the attendees, Mayor Bates summarized the objections of the council, “it’s just too big for the location.”
In the debate about the Rockridge Safeway, there is little understanding of how the 61,000 sq ft design came about. Why is this project so big? Why have they piled … Continue reading »
[See update at foot of story.]
After weeks of dire warnings about traffic delays from the Ashby resurfacing project, some of the worst fears came to pass this afternoon. Preparations for the project have slowed traffic on Ashby for the last several weeks, but the resurfacing only started yesterday because some of the necessary machinery was being used in another city.
At 2 p.m. today, traffic coming south on Belrose Avenue and Claremont Boulevard — usually a slow-moving chain of cars coming from the university — was at a standstill. Traffic heading east on Ashby was even more stymied than usual. Drivers who thought they’d be clever by turning onto Russell Avenue found themselves at the end of a long, static line of cars and trucks on the usually empty street. … Continue reading »
Citizen reporter Diana Baker spotted this cozy piece of yarn bombing near Star Grocery on Claremont Avenue, in front of Laszlo’s Furniture & Upholstery.