- 10/21/2014 - The Nation's KATHA POLLITT / Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights
- 10/21/2014 - Brower Youth Awards 15th Anniversary
- 10/17/2014 - Berkeley City College's 40th Anniversary
- 10/10/2014 - Free Outdoor Screening! - This is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner; US, 1984)
- 10/09/2014 - Vikram Chandra / Geek Sublime: The Beauty of Code, the Code of Beauty
Tag Archives: Donovan’s Brain
The second screening in this year’s Summer Cinema on Center Street, a free outdoor movie series, takes place on Saturday August 11, at 7:30pm.
The theme of this year’s series is “cerebral cinema” and Saturday’s classic is B-movie film Donovan’s Brain (1953) which features a young Nancy Davis (aka Mrs Ronald Reagan). In the film a crazed surgeon has been extracting the brains of monkeys, keeping them alive outside their bodies. When a plane crashes nearby, the police rush the survivor to the surgeon’s lab for emergency care. Despite their best efforts, terrible tycoon Walter Donovan dies, so the scientist liberates his lobes, keeping them alive in a jar. Soon the megalomaniacal brain asserts its influence over the doctor, who must do its evil bidding. Watch the Donovan’s Brain trailer.
The movie will be projected onto the wall of the future Berkeley Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive.