- 11/18/2014 - UC Berkeley Department of Theater, Dance and Performance Studies presents REGENTS' LECTURE: LUIS VALDEZ
- 11/13/2014 - Presidential Inaugural Poet RICHARD BLANCO / The Prince of Los Cocuyos
- 11/10/2014 - London's School of Life's ROMAN KRZNARIC / Empathy
- 10/28/2014 - 'Read and Share' Book Club
- 10/21/2014 - The Nation's KATHA POLLITT / Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights
Tag Archives: Goats R Us
For the past six weeks, more than 600 goats have been munching the grass and shrubs on the steep hills around the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, in a 6-week project to make 100 acres less susceptible to fire.
“They are perfect for the steep slopes at the lab which would be difficult to clear by humans,” said LBNL Communications Manager Jon Weiner.
The goats come from Goats R Us – an Orinda-based company that specializes in goat-powered brush reduction.
The bearded grazers eat most vegetation available, including plants like poison oak and star thistle, which are difficult to clear by hand. They generally eat the tops of plants instead of pulling the roots, which causes less damage to lands than traditional grazers. … Continue reading »