- 12/04/2014 - Half the Sky's NICHOLAS KRISTOF / A Path Appears
- 11/25/2014 - 'Read and Share' Book Club
- 11/18/2014 - UC Berkeley Department of Theater, Dance and Performance Studies presents REGENTS' LECTURE: LUIS VALDEZ
- 11/13/2014 - Presidential Inaugural Poet RICHARD BLANCO / The Prince of Los Cocuyos
- 11/10/2014 - London's School of Life's ROMAN KRZNARIC / Empathy
Tag Archives: International School Grounds Alliance
Sharon Danks and her colleagues around the world are doing their best to combat so-called nature deficit disorder in today’s children, many of whom are growing up with competing demands such as “screen time,” and other barriers to a romp in the park such as safety concerns or access issues.
Danks, a planner and partner with Bay Tree Design in Berkeley, recently co-founded the global group International School Grounds Alliance to address an increasingly sedentary and risk-averse generation of young ones who, it is feared, are becoming disconnected from their natural environments. Some children, shuttled from school to home to other indoor activities, simply don’t spend much, if any, time in the great outdoors.
The nascent organization, with members in Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States, want kids to experience the fun and games of outside play. … Continue reading »