- 10/21/2014 - The Nation's KATHA POLLITT / Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights
- 10/21/2014 - Brower Youth Awards 15th Anniversary
- 10/17/2014 - Berkeley City College's 40th Anniversary
- 10/10/2014 - Free Outdoor Screening! - This is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner; US, 1984)
- 10/09/2014 - Vikram Chandra / Geek Sublime: The Beauty of Code, the Code of Beauty
Tag Archives: Red
After its successful London and Broadway run, the powerful Paint it Red! is now at Berkeley Rep’s Thrust Stage. This stunning two-person play presents a fictionalized account of artist Mark Rothko’s (David Chandler) artistic, emotional and intellectual journey as he paints a major series of canvases for a lucrative fee. His assistant, young artist, Ken (John Brummer), has been hired to help with the project.
In 1958, the outwardly arrogant, but inwardly insecure Rothko was commissioned by Phillip Johnson and Seagram & Sons Company to paint a series of seven canvases for the upscale Four Seasons Restaurant in the new Seagram’s Building on Park Avenue. Quite a coup for an artist who had worked for more than 30 years in relative obscurity. Rothko ultimately painted 30 pieces from which the seven would be chosen. … Continue reading »