Tag Archives: Shootings in Berkeley
The case against two cousins charged with shooting to death a man in Berkeley last year resolved Wednesday with a manslaughter plea, the same week the case was set to begin trial.
Maurice Thomas Jr. and Jevon Calland, both 22, had been charged with killing 34-year-old Zontee Jones in Berkeley in February 2013 during a confrontation on Delaware Street not far from San Pablo Avenue.
The men pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter before Alameda County Superior Court Judge Stuart Hing, and are scheduled to return to court for sentencing Jan. 5.
Thomas — whom authorities say fired the fatal shots — faces 21 years in prison. Calland faces 16 years. Conflicting evidence has, however, been presented in previous court hearings that casts some doubt on exactly what happened. … Continue reading »
Charges have been dropped in the case against a Pittsburg man accused of shooting a 26-year-old Berkeley man to death last summer.
Wednesday at 10 a.m., an Alameda County Superior Court judge agreed to drop the charges against 26-year-old Antiown “Twanny” York, and said he could go home.
Prosecutor Autrey James, of the Alameda County district attorney’s office, asked the judge Wednesday morning to dismiss the case against York. James told the judge his office had been unable to locate a material witness in the case, and believed that witness to be outside the area. … Continue reading »
One person in South Berkeley was sent to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg Sunday night, according to unconfirmed police scanner recordings.
According to scanner traffic, several callers reported the sound of numerous gunshots near Sacramento Street and Alcatraz Avenue shortly before 9:30 p.m. Sunday.
A caller told police one person, with a gunshot wound to the leg, was located at a house in the 3200 block of Sacramento, between Harmon Street and Alcatraz. … Continue reading »
Police have arrested a Berkeley man in connection with a shooting June 26 that sent one man to the hospital with serious injuries, authorities said.
The Berkeley Police Department arrested 50-year-old Arthur Palmer on July 14.
Palmer is being held without bail on suspicion of attempted homicide and is scheduled for arraignment Thursday at 2 p.m.
Police said Palmer is responsible for a shooting in the 3000 block of San Pablo Avenue that took place just before 10 p.m. Police were called to the scene for a 38-year-old man who was suffering from gunshot wounds. … Continue reading »
After several high-profile raids around Berkeley and Oakland on Thursday morning, authorities have announced the arrest of a second man who had been wanted in connection with a double shooting in Berkeley earlier this month.
Police announced the arrest Thursday afternoon of 22-year-old Donzale Mejia of Oakland, but said they were still looking for Anthony Durant, 23 of Berkeley.
Durant was arrested at 3:30 a.m. Friday on suspicion of assault with a firearm on a person. Mejia was arrested in connection with the same violation.
Both men are scheduled for arraignment at 2 p.m. Monday at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Department 112 in downtown Oakland. … Continue reading »
Update, June 27, 1 a.m. The Berkeley Police Department has identified the victim from Thursday night’s shooting as a 38-year-old man, and classified his injuries as “serious.”
Police said, in a statement released shortly before 1 a.m., they believe the suspect from the shooting may have fled to the 1300 block of Ashby Avenue, about a block east of the attack, which took place at San Pablo Avenue and Ashby.
Officers “conducted an extensive search” but did not find the shooter, authorities said. … Continue reading »
Police arrested one man, suspected of being involved in a June 11 double shooting in Berkeley, after serving four search warrants on Thursday morning. Another man is still being sought as a suspect in the same case and should be considered armed and dangerous, they said.
Thursday morning, members of the Berkeley Police Department Special Response Team and Investigations Bureau served three search warrants in Berkeley and one in Oakland related to the June 11 shooting that occurred in the 1600 block of Russell Street.
Investigations into the shootings by Berkeley Police, working alongside Oakland Police and the Alameda County sheriff’s department, implicated Donzale Mejia, a 22-year-old Oakland resident, and Anthony Durant, a 23-year-old Berkeley resident, as suspects, authorities said. Mejia was arrested Thursday morning in Oakland during the execution of a search warrant. The Berkeley Police Department is seeking the community’s help in apprehending Durant. … Continue reading »
Update, June 14: According to the Daily Cal, Wood’s arraignment Friday afternoon was canceled. He is no longer in custody, according to the Alameda County sheriff’s department, and no charges appear to have been filed.
Original story, June 12, 3:40 p.m. A 21-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the South Berkeley shooting that sent two people to the hospital Wednesday.
The Berkeley Police Department originally arrested Charles Wood on suspicion of assault with a firearm on a person, and receiving known stolen property, according to the Alameda County sheriff’s department. [Update, 6:50 p.m. According to the sheriff's department, Wood's alleged violations are now listed as being an accessory, and receiving known stolen property worth more than $400. His bail has been lowered to $20,000 from $80,000.] … Continue reading »
Update, 6:17 p.m. A local resident, who asked not to be named due to safety concerns, said he heard about 10 gunshots just after 4:30 p.m.
He said gunshots in the neighborhood are “not normal,” but that lately more and more people have been congregating in the apartment complex at 1611 Russell St.
He said he believed there has been drug activity in the area, and that police are aware of the situation.
Berkeleyside will update this story if more information becomes available. … Continue reading »
Update, June 10: The Berkeley Police Department said it was aware of the radio problems Saturday and “immediately contacted the City’s Radio Shop personnel in the Public Works Department to try to identify the cause of the problem and resolve it.”
The city determined that the problems were related to the larger regional network, the East Bay Regional Communications System Authority, of which Berkeley is a part.
According to Berkeley Police spokeswoman Officer Jennifer Coats: “We have learned that the system was impacted by an outside signal, which caused parts of the system to experience radio interference. We have been advised that Alameda County is investigating the situation, which appears to have corrected itself at this time.”
(Berkeley scanner feeds, which are provided by a local resident, are available to the public online.)
Original story, June 9, 10 a.m.: A radio malfunction that garbled communication attempts between Berkeley officers and dispatchers Saturday night made a complex shooting investigation even more challenging, officers said. … Continue reading »
Update, June 8, 1 a.m. Berkeley Police spokeswoman Officer Jennifer Coats confirmed that two teenage juvenile boys were shot at La Quinta on Saturday night.
She said she could not comment on their injuries due to medical privacy laws, but said the wounds did not appear to be life threatening. Both were taken to a local hospital for treatment.
Police have not located a third gunshot victim, though one initially had been reported. Authorities have asked area hospitals to alert the Berkeley Police Department if they become aware of one. … Continue reading »
Authorities are considering filing charges against a 20-year-old Berkeley man alleged to have altered a BB gun and fired hundreds of pellets at people on Telegraph Avenue in May.
The man’s name has not been released, and no charges appear to have yet been filed against him, said Officer Stephanie Polizziani, a Berkeley Police spokeswoman, on Thursday.
According to authorities, police received a call May 10 shortly after 11 a.m. that several people had been hit by a BB or pellet gun in the 2300 block of Telegraph Avenue, just south of the UC Berkeley campus. … Continue reading »
Stepped up police patrols, trimmed-back bushes and increased efforts to clean up graffiti around Strawberry Creek Park are among a slew of recent steps by the city following two troubling incidents in March, including a drive-by shooting nearby and the violent robbery of a Berkeley middle school student.
Community members around the West Berkeley park have been asking for help from the city to make changes. They cite frequent problems in the area related in part to its use as a hang-out by youth — including many who reportedly have gang ties. Drug sales and the smoking of marijuana at all hours are said to be regular sights. … Continue reading »