A two-alarm fire broke out at the Good Shepherd Episcopal Church at 1823 Ninth St. and Hearst in West Berkeley on Saturday night.
The blaze, which is believed to have started in the rear of the structure, was reported at 10:19 p.m., and was extinguished by 11:36 p.m. There were no injuries, according to a KTVU report, quoting a fire dispatcher, and the cause is not yet confirmed. The church was in the middle of remodeling, according to the same report.
The Church of the Good Shepherd, built in 1878, is the oldest continuously used church in the Bay Area, according to its website. It was designed by San Francisco architect Charles L. Bugbee in the Gothic Revival style. It is both a City of Berkeley Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The extent of the damage is not known.
This is the third significant fire in Berkeley in as many weeks. On Oct. 3, a house on Benvenue Avenue in south Berkeley was badly damaged in a blaze. And on Oct. 18, a house fire about eight block west on Deakin Street sparked another blaze at the single family home next door.