There was a shooting in San Pablo Park in Berkeley on Tuesday morning, according to authorities.
Officer Byron White of the Berkeley Police Department said that the shooting took place at around 11 a.m and it resulted in one victim. The victim, a young man estimated to be in his 20s, was shot multiple times and was transported to a local hospital. His condition is unknown, Officer White said.
The victim was found outside the restrooms in the park, adjacent to the basketball courts.
The suspect is described as a young man estimated to be in his 20s, light-skinned, with short hair and about 6 ft tall. He was wearing a cream-colored shirt and baggy jeans. He was last seen heading east on Ward Street from Park Street, according to Officer White.
Berkeley Police received a call about the shooting at 11:08 a.m.
There have been 12 shootings in Berkeley in 2016 so far, some with victims, and several others that involved either property damage or reports of gunfire. The list below includes all the shootings this year involving victims and property damage:
- Jan. 9: 1500 block of Stuart — no arrest
- Jan. 10: 1600 block Russell — 3 teens arrested
- Jan. 21: 2400 of Acton Street
- Feb. 12: 1400 block San Pablo — arrested
- Feb. 16: 1100 block of Parker
- March 6: area of McGee and Russell
- March 15: San Pablo and Delaware — arrested
- March 16: Tremont and Prince / double shooting — arrested
- April 7: 2900 block of Telegraph
- April 14: 2100 block Kittredge Street
- April 19: 1000 block of Delaware
According to the Berkeley Police Department, there was a total of 17 shootings in 2015.
This story was update as we gathered more information.
Police ask potential witnesses or those with information, such as the shooter’s identity, to call the homicide line at 510-981-5741 or email email@example.com.