We’re building an extraordinary organization that pioneers new forms of civic journalism and offers hope and optimism for the future of local news. We’re hiring a Vice President, Corporate Partnerships to establish and execute a strategy for our organization to become an important partner for companies to achieve their marketing and community relations goals. The job is based in Oakland.
You’ll be joining us at an exciting time in our development. After 10 years building Berkeleyside into a widely recognized, nationally lauded local news site, we are launching an ambitious, nonprofit, mission-driven organization that will embrace Berkeleyside and new city newsrooms. We have core funding from the American Journalism Project and Google News Initiative. Our first new launch will be in Oakland this spring.
What you’ll do
- Build and generate revenue from a broad range of Fortune 5000 companies
- Devise and implement a strategic plan to sell to companies in a cost-effective and time-efficient manner
- Forge strong and sustainable relationships with potential targets and existing customers
- Build and manage comprehensive database of potential targets
- Work collaboratively with the team, in particular with our director, client partnerships to deliver a range of sponsorship opportunities for our clients
- As part of the leadership team of our company, help build our overall business by partnering with other members of our leadership team, and collaborating with our board
- Help to build our newly launched brand and visibility, and represent and act as an ambassador for our company
- Report to the CEO
What you’ll need to succeed
- Have 5-10 years experience in a sales or business development role in a media, technology or marketing company
- Have a demonstrated ability to close business with companies
- Be a creative, strategic thinker that listens well to customers’ needs and develops initiatives to meet their needs
- Be organized and process-driven
- Be passionate about our mission
- Partner well with peers in other leadership roles
- Be a leader willing to roll up your sleeves
- Be a team player
We’re especially interested in candidates who
- Have the ability to juggle strategic thinking and hands-on tactical work
- Excellent communication skills
- A love of local news
How we’ll support you
- Top-notch in-house mentorship and a transparent internal review and feedback process
- $1,000 in support for conferences and training
We offer a competitive salary, health plan, four weeks of paid leave and a 401(k) match.
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If you’re interested in applying, email Lance Knobel.